Saffron Building Society is your regional building society that understands your needs.
We pride ourselves on being a mutual organisation, which means we're owned by you, our members and exist solely for your benefit.
We have a number of branches and agencies located in Hertfordshire, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.
We offer a range of savings and investment products including tax free savings, notice accounts, immediate access and children's savings.
We offer a variety of mortgage products to meet a range of individual needs. We also assist with remortgages and further advances.
- 1847 First Building Society established in Saffron Walden
- 1849 Saffron Walden Second Building Society founded by Rev John Marten, Minister of Hill Street Baptist Church and manager of local gas company
- 1857 Society now known as … "Saffron Walden Second Benefit Building and Investment Society on the Permanent Plan"
- 1900 Assets reach £37,000
- 1959 Assets reach £1million
- 1972 Royston and District Building Society transfer engagements to the Society. The Society changes name to the Saffron Walden and District Building Society
- 1979 London & Essex Building Society transfer engagements to the Society. The Society is renamed the Saffron Walden and Essex Building Society
- 1989 Herts & Essex Building Society transfer engagements to the Society. The Society is renamed the Saffron Walden Herts & Essex Building Society. Assets stand at £163 million
- 2004 Assets are £460 million
- 2006 Assets size £662 million. The Society is renamed to Saffron Building Society.
- 2008 Assets size £784 million.
- 2009 Assets size £931 million. The Society celebrates its 160th birthday.
- 2011 Assets size £1,086 million.