Frequently Asked Questions
Please find below a range of the most frequently asked questions regarding our Online Saving System. If you cannot find the answer to your question, then please call us on 0800 072 1100.
- I have received my account opening confirmation letter, but I haven't received my User ID number
- We will send you your User ID and, in some cases a temporary password, separately to protect your security. Your account opening letter will provide full details of what you should expect to receive. If you are still unsure you can call our Contact Centre 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will be able to talk you through the process. Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am on Wednesdays) and 9am – 1pm on Saturdays.
- What is my User ID?
- Your User ID (Customer ID number) is unique to you and is required to log on to your account online. This was sent to you when you opened your account.
- I can't remember my User ID?
- Please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will be able to send you a reminder in the post. Please note we are unable to give out this information over the phone.
- I can't remember my password. What do I do?
- Your password is made up of a minimum of 6 characters and is case sensitive. It should be made up of letters and numbers and must have at least one capital letter. Please click on the forgotten password link on the log on page. This will automatically send your password hint to your registered e-mail address. If this doesn't help, please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will be able to send you a new temporary password in the post. This will allow you to set up a new password and password hint.
- I can't remember my memorable answer?
- Please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 who will be able to help you remember by asking you your memorable question. If this still doesn't help we'll send you a link to set up a new question and answer.
- Why am I being asked for a temporary password?
Our security requirements for online banking have changed.
Once you have entered your login details, you may be asked to reset your password if your current one is not strong enough.
Simply follow the on screen instructions by entering your current password in the box labelled 'temporary password'. Then, in the next box, enter your new password following the new security requirements: Your new password should be a minimum of 6 characters and have at least one number and one capital letter.
Once you have entered your new password, you will need to re-confirm this and add a password hint.
Finally, click on Change and you will be logged into your online banking account and see your Account Summary.
If you still have problems logging in, then please do call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100.
- How do I change my password?
- You can change your password in the Your Details section of your Online Account.
- How do I reset my password?
- Please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 and one of Customer Consultants will be able to send you a temporary password in the post. Once you have logged on using the temporary password, you will be asked to set up a new one along with a new password hint.
- How do I reset my memorable answer?
- Please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will send you a link to enable you to set up a new question and answer.
- Why am I asked to provide three characters from my memorable answer?
- Protecting your account security is important to us so we do this for security purposes.
- My account is locked. How do I get access?
- To gain access to an account that has been locked, you will need to ring us on 0800 072 1100. Following some security checks we will unlock your account.
- The online saving system does not seem to be working properly – what shall I do?
- This may be due to the internet browser that you are using. The new updates from Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) are causing some users problems making a payment or viewing the My Documents section. We are in the process of fixing this problem. In the meantime, please use a different browser such as Firefox or Chrome. To continue using IE11 you will need to change the compatibility settings. On the top right hand of your screen you will see a cog wheel icon , click here and then click on view compatibility settings. Change this to compatibility. The online saving system should now work.
- How do I update my details?
- You can update your email address, home phone number and marketing preferences online in the Your Details section. If you need to make other changes please call us on 0800 072 1100. If you would like to change your address or mobile number you will need to ring us on 0800 072 1100. One of our Customer Consultants will be able to assist you .
- What do I need to do to change my nominated bank account details?
- To change the nominated bank account linked to your online account you can either send us a secure message instructing us that you would like to change your bank details, along with the sort code, account number and any reference if applicable. Or you can call us on 0800 072 1100, our opening hours are 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am on Wednesdays) and 9am - 1pm on Saturdays. Please note that secure messages will only be picked up within the opening hours mentioned above and it can take up to 2 working days for the details to be changed. We will also only accept bank accounts in your name and you can only have one nominated bank account linked to the account.
- Why can't I see all my accounts?
- You can view all of your Online Accounts when you log on to the Online Account section. If you have an existing account that is not visible, please contact us on 0800 072 1100 or send a secure message, and we can arrange for it to be added. You can still transfer money to your passbook account using the 'make a transfer' function. Please note your passbook based accounts are viewable access only. To make a withdrawal or close your passbook account, please send us your written instructions together with your passbook.
- How do I close my account?
- Please call us on 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will process this for you.
- How do I open a new account?
- Our website (www.saffronbs.co.uk) lists all of our current savings products, and clearly indicates which of these can be opened online. For any branch-based accounts, please call into to any of our branches where our staff will be happy to help you.
Payments / Withdrawals
- How do I make a payment from my account?
- You can transfer money to an account that is already listed in your Online Account. From your Accounts Summary, Manage Your Accounts section, click on the Make a Payment link. This will then take you to the Make a One-Off Payment screen which will allow you to complete your payment. Please note the Terms and Conditions of your account may restrict who you can transfer money to and some products do not allow withdrawals.
- I am unable to transfer funds between my Saffron online accounts. What do I need to do?
- We are aware of this limitation and we are in the process of rectifying this. In the meantime, please call our Contact Centre on 0800 072 1100 and one of our Customer Consultants will be able to process the transfer for you. Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am on Wednesdays) and 9am – 1pm on Saturdays.
- How can I make a payment to my Branch Based Account if it is not listed in my payment list?
- If you would like to transfer money from your Online Account to your Branch Based Account, please call us on 0800 072 1100 and we will set this up. Once we have done this you will be able to select your account from the drop down list in the 'Make a Payment' screen.
- Why can't I transfer money from my account?
- We carry out account maintenance between midnight and 3.00am every night with the aim of minimising disruption for most of our customers. However, this means that you cannot transfer money from your account during this time period. We are changing the error message you may receive to make the cause clearer when your account is locked for maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you experience transaction issues outside of this time period, please call us on 0800 072 1100. Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am on Wednesdays) and 9am – 1pm on Saturdays.
- How do I make a deposit into my account?
You can pay money into your account in the following ways:
From your Bank or Building Society account
Please use the following details:
Sort Code: 20-74-05
Account Number: 00775991
Reference: Please quote your Saffron account number (please only quote this number, this will help us ensure the money is credited to your account quickly).
You can set up a standing order from your Bank or Building Society account using the following details:
Sort Code: 20-74-05
Account Number: 00775991
Reference: Please quote your Saffron account number (please only quote this number, this will help us ensure the money is credited to your account quickly). You can download a standing order form from our downloadable forms page on our website www.saffronbs.co.uk/savings/downloadable-forms
- When I have made a payment, when will it arrive in my account?
- All payments up to £100,000 are sent via Faster Payment. These are normally sent on the same day before 1pm . Payments made after 1pm, at the weekend or on a Bank holiday will be sent on the next business day. Payments over £100,000 are sent via BACS which takes up to three business days (excluding weekends and Bank holidays).
- I requested my payment be sent ASAP, when will it be sent?
- Faster Payments You can send money by Faster Payment through our Online Banking Service where the amount that you wish to send is £100,000 or less. Where you request to make a payment before 1pm on a business day (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm excluding weekends and Bank Holidays) your payment will be sent the same day. Where your request to make a payment is after 1pm your payment will be sent on the next business day. BACS Payments The BACS System will be used where the amount exceeds £100,000 or where the receiving bank does not accept a Faster Payment. When you request to make a payment before 1pm on a business day (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm excluding weekends and Bank Holidays) your payment will be sent the same day. Where your request to make a payment is after 1pm or on a weekend or Bank holiday, your payment will be sent the next business day. Funds that are sent by BACS will normally be received in the destination account three business days after they are sent.
- Can I transfer money to my other online accounts?
- Yes you can transfer money to your other Saffron online accounts.
- How will my payment be sent?
- All payments will be sent via Faster Payments where the amount is £100,000 or less. If your payment is over £100,000, this will be sent via BACS. BACS payments normally take three days (Monday to Friday – excluding weekends and Bank holidays).
- Can I view a payment that I have set to a future date?
- You can't see the actual transaction but the value of the payment will be reflected in your available balance. If you need to amend or cancel any future dated transactions, please phone us on 0800 072 1100. Please note that you can only cancel a future dated payment up to the close of business on the working day before the payment is dated to be sent.
- How do I see what savings product I have?
- You can see your product name and the interest rate payable on your account online.
- Where is the interest rate for my product shown?
- The interest rate payable on your account is shown on the Account Details screen.
- Where can I find my account number?
- Your account number is listed online in your Account Summary.
- Where can I view my transactions?
- You can view your transactions online by selecting view account from your Accounts Summary.
- Can I order a paper statement?
- You can view all your transactions online. If you need a paper copy, these can be printed directly from your internet browser whilst you are in your Online Account. If your account is closed please call us on 0800 072 1100 and we will post a statement to you.
- How do I order a Tax Certificate?
- Where applicable, a Tax Certificate is produced automatically and stored in the Your Documents section in your Online Account. You can print a copy from here. Please note a Tax Certificate will only show in Your Documents once we have gone through a tax year (April 2014) on the new online system. For a copy of previous years' certificates please contact us on 0800 072 1100.
- How do I send a secure message to you?
- You can send us a message of up to 999 characters online using the 'send a secure message' function when you're logged into your account.
- What is the Contact Centre phone Number?
- 0800 072 1100
- What are the Contact Centre opening times?
- Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am on Wednesdays) and 9am – 1pm on Saturdays
- What is the email address?
- What is the postal address?
- Saffron Building Society
1A Market Street
Essex CB10 1HX