IMPORTANT: You must acknowledge receipt of this information sheet by clicking the button at the bottom of this page in order to proceed with your application.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme Information Sheet
|Basic information about the protection of your eligible deposits|
|Eligible deposits in Saffron Building Society are protected by:||the Financial Services Compensation Scheme ("FSCS")1|
|Limit of protection:||
£85,000 per depositor per bank / building society /credit union2
The following trading names are part of your bank / building society / credit union:
Saffron Building Society and Saffron Direct
|If you have more eligible deposits at the same bank / building society / credit union:||All your eligible deposits at the same bank / building society / credit union are "aggregated" and the total is subject to the limit of £85,000.2|
|If you have a joint account with other person(s):||The limit of £85,000 applies to each depositor separately.3|
|Reimbursement period in case of bank, building society or credit union's failure:||20 working days4|
|Currency of reimbursement:||Pound sterling (GBP, £) or, for branches of UK banks operating in other EEA Member States, the currency of that State.|
To contact Saffron Building Society for enquiries relating to your account:
To contact the FSCS for further information on compensation:
Saffron Building Society
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
1Scheme responsible for the protection of your eligible deposit
Your eligible deposit is covered by a statutory Deposit Guarantee Scheme, If insolvency of your bank, building society or credit union should occur, your eligible deposits would be repaid up to £85,000 by the Deposit Guarantee Scheme.
2General limit of protection
If a covered deposit is unavailable because a bank, building society or credit union is unable to meet its financial obligations, depositors are repaid by a Deposit Guarantee Scheme. This repayment covers at maximum £85,000 per bank, building society or credit union, This means that all eligible deposits at the same bank, building society or credit union are added up in order to determine the coverage level. If, for instance a depositor holds a savings account with £80,000 and a current account with £20,000, he or she will only be repaid £85,000.
This method will also be applied if a bank, building society or credit union operates under different trading names, Saffron Building Society also trades under Saffron Direct. This means that all eligible deposits with one or more of these trading names are in total covered up to £85,000.
In some cases eligible deposits which are categorised as "temporary high balances" are protected above £85,000 for six months after the amount has been credited or from the moment when such eligible deposits become legally transferable. These are eligible deposits connected with certain events including:
- certain transactions relating to the depositor's current or prospective only or main residence or dwelling;
- a death, or the depositor's marriage or civil partnership, divorce, retirement, dismissal,redundancy or invalidity;
- the payment to the depositor of insurance benefits or compensation for criminal injuries or wrongful conviction.
More information can be obtained under http://www.fscs.org.uk
3Limit of protection for joint accounts
In case of joint accounts, the limit of £85,000 applies to each depositor.
However, eligible deposits in an account to which two or more persons are entitled as members of a business partnership, association or grouping of a similar nature, without legal personality, are aggregated and treated as if made by a single depositor for the purpose of calculating the limit of £85,000.
The responsible Deposit Guarantee Scheme is the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, 10th Floor Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London, EC3A 7QU, Tel: 0800 678 1100 or 020 7741 4100, Email: ICT@fscs.org.uk, It will repay your eligible deposits (up to £85,000) within 20 working days until 31 December 2018; within 15 working days from 1 January 2019 until 31 December 2020;within 10 working days from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2023; and within 7 working days from 1 January 2024 onwards, save where specific exceptions apply.
Where the FSCS cannot make the repayable amount available within 7 working days, it will, from 1 June 2016 until 31 December 2023, ensure that you have access to an appropriate amount of your covered deposits to cover the cost of living (in the case of a depositor which is an individual) or to cover necessary business expenses (in the case of a depositor which is not an individual or a large company) within 5 working days of a request.
If you have not been repaid within these deadlines, you should contact the Deposit Guarantee Scheme since the time to claim reimbursement may be barred after a certain time limit. Further information can be obtained under www.fscs.org.uk.
Other important information
In general, all retail depositors and businesses are covered by Deposit Guarantee Schemes. Exceptions for certain deposits are stated on the website of the responsible Deposit Guarantee Scheme. Your bank, building society or credit union will also inform you of any exclusions from protection which may apply. If deposits are eligible, the bank, building society or credit union shall also confirm this on the statement of account.
A deposit is excluded from protection if:
- The holder and any beneficial owner of the deposit have never been identified in accordance with money laundering requirements. For further information, contact your bank, bank building society or credit union.
- The deposit arises out of transactions in connection with which there has been a criminal conviction for money laundering.
- It is a deposit made by a depositor which is one of the following:
- credit institution
- financial institution
- investment firm
- insurance undertaking
- reinsurance undertaking
- collective investment undertaking
- pension or retirement fund1
- public authority other than a small local authority
1Deposits by personal pension schemes, stakeholder pension schemes and occupational pension schemes of micro, small and medium sized enterprises are not excluded.
If you would like to keep a copy of this please click here
The account at a glance
Our Branch Saver is a simple branch-based savings account. The account allows you to pay money in when you want and offers you immediate access to your funds. The information below provides an overview of the account and the product specific terms and conditions.
Please ensure that you also read the Savings Terms & Conditions.
Limited availability and can be withdrawn at any time.
Key product information
|What is the interest rate?||
current rates valid from 1 December 2017
previous rates valid from 20 December 2016 to 1 December 2017
If your account falls below the minimum balance of £5,000 you will earn a fixed rate of 0.05% gross/AER* until the account returns to the required minimum balance.
Interest is calculated daily and is paid annually on 31 December; this will be credited directly to your Branch Saver, or can be transferred to another bank or building society account.
|Can Saffron Building Society change the interest rate?||
The interest rate for this account is variable, which means it can go up or down. Please see clauses 7.6 – 7.10 (inclusive) of the Savings Terms & Conditions, which sets out how and why we change interest rates.
|What would the estimated balance be after 12 months?||
The following projection is provided for illustrative purposes only and doesn't take into account your individual circumstances. It assumes no withdrawals or further deposits beyond the opening deposit.
|How do I open and manage my account?||
The Branch Saver can only be opened in branch, however existing customers can open by post. To qualify as an existing customer you need to have held a savings or a mortgage account with the society for at least 6 months.
|Can I withdraw money?||
You can withdraw cleared funds from your account at any time.
You can withdraw up to £500 in cash per day from any of our branches and up to £100,000 by cheque in branch or by post.
Money cannot be withdrawn by electronic transfer.
Interest will be paid gross which means no tax will be deducted.If you have any individual personal tax queries, or to find out if any tax is due on your savings interest, please contact HMRC as we are unable to provide any tax advice.
* The gross rate is the rate before deducting tax at the rate applicable to savings income. The annual equivalent rate (AER) is a notional rate which illustrates what the gross interest rate would be if the interest was paid and added to the account annually.
What if I change my mind?
This is an immediate access account, if you decide that the account isn’t right for you, you can switch to another account or you can have your money back – without penalty or notice. We will close your account and return your cleared funds to you; interest will be paid on the balance of your account up to the day before closure.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
Your eligible deposits with Saffron Building Society are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the FSCS, the UK’s deposit protection scheme. Any deposits you hold above the £85,000 threshold are not covered. You can visit www.fscs.org.uk for more information.
Product specific Terms and Conditions – Effective from 1 December 2017
These product specific terms and conditions apply to this Branch Saver in addition to the Savings Terms & Conditions which also apply to your account. Where the terms and conditions are inconsistent with the product specific terms and conditions, these product specific terms and conditions will apply and will take priority.
- The Branch Saver is a share account and must be held by an individual/s. It cannot be held by a corporate entity.
- This account can only be opened in branch and for existing customers postal applications will be accepted.
- This account is available to new customers in branch and existing customers who have held a savings or mortgage account with the society for at least 6 months.
- The maximum number of joint holders is four. Where there are multiple account holders any one account holder may operate the account (subject to withdrawal instructions on application form).
Minimum and Maximum Limits
- The minimum amount to open this account is £5,000 and this minimum must be maintained at all times to keep the account open.
- Deposits can be made by cash, cheque, or transfer from another bank or building society account. You may pay money into your account at any of our branches or by post.
- If your balance falls below £5,000, the interest rate will reduce to 0.05% if the balance is not increased we reserve the right to close your account and return your funds to you with any interest that is due.
- The maximum deposit for this account is £250,000.
- Once the maximum balance has been reached no further funds can be added to your account, unless you make a withdrawal to reduce the balance.
- Any interest paid to the account will not count towards the maximum balance.
- The gross interest rate is variable which means it can go up as well as down at any time during the life of the account.
- Interest is calculated daily and paid on 31 December each year and credited directly to your Branch Saver, or it can be transferred to another bank or Building Society account (subject to your instructions on the application form).
- You may need to pay tax on any interest that exceeds your Personal Savings Allowance. For more information please contact HMRC or visit hmrc.gov.
Withdrawals and early closure
- Branch Saver is an instant access savings account you can withdraw cleared funds at any time.
- Where deposits are made by cheque we require at least 7 working days before funds are available to withdraw.
- If you make a withdrawal in one of our branches, we will provide you with a withdrawal form which you must authorise by signing.
- We may request additional identification in order to complete your request.
- Larger cash or cheque withdrawals above the daily limits can be arranged, but will require notice, please contact us.
Find out more
If you have any questions relating to this product, or any of the other products and services we offer please contact us
This product is no longer available to new customers
This product is no longer available to new customers.
Looking for a mortgage?
Whether you're a first-time buyer, self-employed or building the home of your dreams, whatever your situation, talk to us today.Find out more